Traditional Chinese maxim says: “two fists are no match against four hands” (Seung Kyun Bat Dik Sei Sau). Indeed – apart from an armed assailant, one of the worst case self-defense scenarios is dealing with multiple opponents.
Practical Hung Kyun sparring drills cover not only regular one on one sparring, but various self-protection scenarios, too – including dealing with multiple attackers.
Check out a glimpse from our regular lessons – short video presenting so called “Lok Sin Theatre Battle Drill” (you can read more about Lok Sin Theatre fight in Lam Sai Wing Memorial Book, available HERE).
- The drill assumes that the “defender” can’t run away, or get armed, or de-escalate.
- The “defender’s” positioning and footwork is a key – he doesn’t allow the attackers to flank him, surround him, or grab him. He use principles of “Side Door Footwork” (Jau Jak Mun).
- The “defender” doesn’t wait for any of the opponents to strike first – he “defends by attacking” (Yi Gung Wai Siu).
- The “defender” deals with the aggressors one by one, using simple techniques/combos from “Taming of the Tiger in Gung Pattern” (“Arhat Strikes the Bell”, “Ox Horn Punch”, “Cannon Through the Sky”, “Continuous Cradle and Strike”, “Three Stars Continuous Strikes”… ) as well as “Seven Stars Continuous Strikes” from the “Tiger and Crane Double Form Set”.
- On one occasion he grabs one of the attackers, uses him as a whiled, delivers fast knee to the groin, and continues with other aggressors.
- Notice that when the “defender” turns around, he does so with a strike, be it Gwa Cheui or Bin Cheui. In other drills we also use rear elbow strike (Ding Jaang) as well – here it wouldn’t be safe for the sparring partners.
Pavel Macek Sifu, Practical Hung Kyun
If you like the article and if you want to support our work, please add your comment, click “tweet” or “like”. Your support will help us and encourage us to publish and share more articles and videos in the future!
Thank you for every visit, “tweet”, “like” or comment!
No upcoming events
4,499 total views, 3 views today